Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1855

Entry for Ringmer


The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. For example, Ringmer Lunatic Asylum appears as Ringmer Lun. Asylm in the original, in order for it to fit into its column on the page. All such abbreviations remain so that researchers can make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish 3 miles north-east of Lewes and 10 west of Hailsham, in Chailey Union, Ringmer Hundred, and Pevensey rape, East Sussex. The church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, is very ancient, and has a chancel, nave, small side aisles, and wooden tower, and contains several monuments and brasses of the 17th and 18th centuries. The benefice is a vicarage, value about £300 per annum, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Here is a neat Independent chapel, also a National school and a Workhouse school, for the Chailey Union. BROYLE PLACE, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury. A part of the Horse Artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, is converted into a private lunatic asylum. The area of this parish is about 5,624 acres, and the population, in 1851 was 1,374.

GENTRY.

Chapple Miss Harriet

Constable Rev. John [vicar]

Nugent William Henry, esq

Paine Henry William, esq

Symons Rev.Edward, B.A.[curate]

Veale John Bessant, esq




TRADERS.

Alchorne Thomas, ‘Old Ship’

Barber Joseph, shoemaker

Berry Henry Ebenezer, carpenter & maltster

Bodle Charles, ‘Anchor’

Chandler Robert William, butcher

Chapman Henry, baker

Coates Edmund, tailor

Cook John, farmer

Cosham William, carpenter

Davis Richard, blacksmith

Diplark William, shoemaker

Divel Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Durrant John, carpenter

Durrant Robert, brewer

Edwards Joseph, bricklayer

Fiest Thomas, farmer

Fuller Joseph, farmer

Gardener Thomas Champion, farmer

Hide William, farmer

Hillman Joseph, blacksmith

Holman Mary (Mrs.), corn miller

Huntley George, farmer

Ivory Ann (Mrs.), Ringmer Lun. Asylm

Kirby William, ‘Green Man’

Knight Thomas, farmer

Lively Thomas, farmer

Martin Edward, baker

Martin Fredk. shopkeeper & postmstr

Martin William Brown, carpenter

Masters George, shopkeeper

Miller Joseph, bricklayer

Page Peter, ‘Railway’

Parsons John ‘Cock’

Pockney William, shoemaker

Poole Charles, cattle dealer

Rickman John, farmer

Saxby Thomas, farmer

Sharpe Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Smith John, corn miller

Steer Edward, painter & glazier, & at East Hoathley

Thatcher John, farmer

Thorpe Thomas Hart, farmer

Turner Henry, farmer & brickmaker

Verral Best, surgeon

Waller Henry, cabinet maker

Wickens Stephen, farmer

Withers William, farmer


POST OFFICE. –Frederick Martin, postmaster. Letters arrive at ½ past 7 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Lewes

CARRIERS pass through here daily

PUBLIC SCHOOLS:-

National, Miss Ann Walton, mistress

Chailey Union Workhouse, Michael Griffin, master; Mrs. Martha Griffin, mistress